“Having a home is much more than having a house. A home is a place which provides warmth, familiarity and a sense of security. Its furniture and furnishings and manner of its decoration provide a sense of personal identity.” – Shelter
Gateway Furniture receive donations of good quality furniture, appliances and household items that are no longer wanted or needed. We then resupply these to local people in need for as little as £10 including delivery.
This ‘furniture re-distribution’ strategy means that people who are in need are helped in the darkest of times. It is a way for us to provide practically for those who are struggling in life.
But there are further benefits to Gateway Furniture! Our work encourages environmentally beneficial activities by promoting recycling and re-use – and preventing tonnes of furniture being turned into landfill. In addition it provides opportunity for those who volunteer with us to develop new skills and gain confidence.
How Does Gateway Furniture Work?
Below is a brief outline of how Gateway Furniture works. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
a) Receiving furniture
- Good quality furniture is donated to Gateway Furniture from all over Swindon. Our volunteers clean it, inventory it and stack it.
- As we are primarily a re-use organisation, we have limited resources to repair items other than white goods.
- All electrical items are PAT tested.
b) Re-distributing furniture
- Families, couples or individuals who are living on a low income, a retirement pension, receiving state benefits or on low-income tax credits are referred to Gateway Furniture via organisations such as Swindon Social Workers, Housing Officers and Children’s Centres.
- To refer a client to Gateway Furniture contact us for a referral form.
- On receiving a referral form our volunteers check we have the required items in stock.
- We then contact the client to arrange an appointment for clients to visit the Gateway Furniture warehouse. Here they are allowed to choose the items they have been referred for (up to 4 items of furniture) from our stock. In addition they can take any bric-a-brac, kitchen utensils and bedding for a small donation.
- All the furniture is supplied for a required minimum donation of £10. An additional small donation is requested for any bric-a-brac, kitchen utensil and bedding etc.