“Having a home is much more than having a house. A home is a place which provides warmth, familiarity and a sense of security. Its furniture and furnishings and manner of its decoration provide a sense of personal identity.” – Shelter
Gateway Furniture receive donations of good quality furniture, appliances and household items that are no longer wanted or needed. We then resupply these to local people in need for as little as £10 including delivery.
This ‘furniture re-distribution’ strategy means that people who are in need are helped in the darkest of times. It is a way for us to provide practically for those who are struggling in life.
But there are further benefits to Gateway Furniture! Our work encourages environmentally beneficial activities by promoting recycling and re-use – and preventing tonnes of furniture being turned into landfill. In addition it provides opportunity for those who volunteer with us to develop new skills and gain confidence.
The hub of our activity is within our town centre shop (The Gate). We conduct our referral interviews at the shop, we have a community café space, children’s play area and give away free books from within the shop library. We also sell excess stock to the general public which helps us fund the low and no cost referrals we do for those most in need.
How Does Gateway Furniture Work?
Below is a brief outline of how Gateway Furniture works. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.
a) Receiving furniture
- Good quality furniture is donated to Gateway Furniture from all over Swindon. Our volunteers collect it, clean it, inventory it and stack it.
- As we are primarily a re-use organisation, we have limited resources to repair items other than white goods.
- All electrical items are PAT tested.
b) Re-distributing furniture
- Families, couples or individuals who are living on a low income, facing challenges with furnishing a new or existing home are referred to Gateway Furniture via organisations such as Swindon Social Workers, Housing Officers, Children’s Centres and many other local support agencies.
- To refer a client to Gateway Furniture contact us for a referral form.
- The referring agency will assess the client’s need and refer them into the project as either an emergency or low cost referral.
- Emergency referral clients then come into our shop (at set aside times during the week) and will be helped by a dedicated Referral Co-ordinator who will arrange for the items they have been referred in for to be allocated to them and delivered within a few working days. We supply up to 4 items of core furniture for as little as £10 (to cover our delivery cost). We can supply up to one white good (with the maximum of 4 core items) for a cost of £40. In addition we also have an extensive range of home starter goods i.e. pots, pans, plates, cups, bedding, curtains, towels etc. supplied for free. We can also assist with clothing where possible.
- Low cost referrals can come into our shop during normal opening hours and will receive a 50% reduction on the list price of the core furniture items they have been referred in for from the agency.